Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Should I Hire an Attorney? Public Defenders? Who should I go with?

Questions about attorneys regarding criminal charges are something I get asked a lot. The best place is to ask advice from people in jail or currently in the courts system. The reason why this is a good idea is because most of the people in jail have been in the situation before and usually have not moved around a whole bunch, meaning they are local lawyer connoisseurs. The best advice you will receive is on your specific public defender. Will this particular attorney you were assigned be as good as hiring a lawyer for your specific charge/case? Is it time to sell your car because it will make a huge difference in the result of your case?

In my own situation with serious violent felony charges I initially hired a private lawyer who did a pretty good job and then got accused of some type of misconduct regarding a witness in my case and was forced to step down. This made me retain a public defender to carry on the rest of the case. He did a decent job but definitely didn’t care as much. My point is that there were a bunch of public defenders but most people in jail knew the ones that were good from the ones that really didn’t care. While a private attorney is paid and will keep in contact and hopefully fight for you, a public defender can be either/or. With little resources and a huge case load they may just try to settle the case as fast as possible instead of giving you the best chance possible. On the other hand it could be you spend five thousand dollars for the same service.

If you or a loved one is currently looking for an attorney/lawyer and don’t have contact with anyone in jail I would search online for your local area. Just remember, you usually get what you pay for. In most situations and in most cases I would highly recommend hiring a lawyer that has a lot of experience and has been around in YOUR AREA for a long time. Usually over 90% of cases end in a plea agreement.

Good luck. Feel free to email me with any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites